For close to 50 years, Samaritans has provided lifesaving suicide prevention services in Massachusetts. Established in Boston by Monica Dickens, Samaritans follows the principles of befriending created by Samaritans in the United Kingdom. While Samaritans offices all over the world share a common suicide prevention mission and philosophy, we operate independently from one another.
Our volunteers have answered 3 million calls, chats, and texts from people who are struggling. Samaritans has trained more than 6,000 volunteers and provided suicide prevention workshops to 150,000 people. Finally, we have supported 15,000 suicide loss survivors in their grief journeys.
Samaritans provides lifesaving suicide prevention services throughout Greater Boston, MetroWest, and across Massachusetts. Our services are free, confidential, and nonjudgmental.
We envision a world without suicide.
Our mission is to prevent suicide and offer hope and support to those affected.
- Integrity – We act ethically with a relentless commitment to our mission and values, to each other, to the community, and to excellence in service.
- Befriending – We empathetically and actively listen without judgment –our unique way of befriending those who use our services creates an environment where all emotions and experiences can be shared and validated.
- Equity, Justice and Inclusion – We value the full diverse community which our organization serves. As such we endeavor to make our organization reflective and representative, striving to enable access to our services regardless of identity, beliefs, or circumstances. We aspire to embrace change and to encourage growth.
- Belonging – We endeavor to create a warm, caring community in which everyone feels welcomed, valued, accepted, and supported. We aspire to embrace change, to respectfully celebrate differences, and to encourage growth as we work together towards a common purpose.
- Courage – We honor the courage it takes to seek help. We pledge to talk openly about mental health, including the issues of equity and access and the impact on both individuals and the community.
- Hope – We offer a way for people to find hope, through our unwavering presence, education and support services, to those in need orthose supporting others in need.
Do you have a media inquiry?
For press requests and media inquiries, please contact [email protected].
Learn More About Samaritans
Our work is not possible without our amazing staff, Board of Directors, Council, volunteers, financial supporters, and partners who advocate for suicide prevention in our communities. Explore the pages below to learn more about our lifesaving suicide prevention work and the people who are involved in making it happen.