Join Our Team
We know that working in suicide prevention can be tough. And we also know that it can be so rewarding. If you’re looking for a chance to find work that can save lives and that truly has an impact, check out our open positions. We’d love to receive your application.
Samaritans’ employees must be vaccinated against COVID-19 or obtain an approved medical or religious exemption. An offer is contingent upon proof that the candidate is fully vaccinated or qualifies for an exemption. Our office works on a hybrid schedule with an average of 2 days per week in office, after a period of onboarding for new hires.
Full-Time and Part-Time Positions
Browse through the sections below for the different internships we offer.
Samaritans is seeking a motivated Special Events Intern for 10-20 hours per week who enjoys a growth-oriented environment to oversee aspects of our annual fundraising events.
- Support the Development Director and Special Events Manager as needed for special events such as/but not limited to: the 5K Run/Walk (September), the Breakfast for Hope Event (April/May), Boston Marathon Team (April/October), and other donor driven events
- Help to provide direct support to 5K Team Captains, HopeRaisers, and others who commit to fundraising in support of Samaritans
- Support event sponsorship management and acquisition
- Work with the 5K fundraising platform where needed (Classy)
- Support the Boston Marathon Team
- Create blog and social media posts for fundraising events
- Work with the Development Team to strategize and implement marketing plans for events
- Assist with other projects as they arise
This position requires strong written and oral communication skills, and an ability to work well with all types of people. Organizational skills and an attention to detail are a must. Other helpful characteristics are being flexible, taking initiative, and having a cooperative spirit. Special Events can sometimes be hectic, so having a positive attitude and a sense of humor is essential.
This position is unpaid, but we will work with the candidate for the internship to count towards college credit.
Please send your resume and brief cover letter explaining your interest in the position to [email protected] with “Special Events Intern” in the subject line.
* Samaritans’ employees must be vaccinated against COVID-19 or obtain an approved medical or religious exemption. An offer is contingent upon proof that the candidate is fully vaccinated or qualifies for an exemption. Currently our office is re-open on a hybrid schedule with an average of 2 days per week in office, after a period of onboarding for new hires.
Samaritans is currently seeking interns to staff our 24/7 Helpline. Successful candidates will possess the ability to empathize with others and have strong listening skills. No previous experience is required; all interns receive training that will equip them with the necessary knowledge and skills to provide emotional support to callers. We offer a traditional 9-month commitment of a few hours a week as well as accelerated commitments for those who have more time to give within a smaller time frame.
To begin the application process, interested candidates must attend an Information Session and complete an interview with a current staff member or volunteer. Complete our online volunteer inquiry and receive upcoming information session dates. (links to Volunteer on the 24/7 Helpline request form)
Samaritans is seeking a Development Intern for 15-20 hours per week who enjoys a growth-oriented environment to oversee aspects of our annual fundraising activities.
This is an 8-hr per week, hybrid position, working between the hours of 9am and 5pm, Monday through Friday, with at least one day per week (M, T, or W) from the Boston office. The exact work schedule will be decided by the intern and their manager. The internship will run from January through May 2024 with potential to continue in the summer.
- Provide general support to the Development Team on a variety of projects, including the Boston Marathon (April) and Breakfast for Hope (May)
- Support the Database Manager in overseeing functions of donor database (Salesforce) management, including inputting new contacts, and ensuring accuracy of records and information entered, and updating donor information
- Participate in weekly Development team meetings
- Research donors and potential donors
- Provide grant proposal support to the Grants contractor and Chief Development Officer
- Assist with other projects as they arise
This position requires strong written and oral communication skills, and an ability to work well with all types of people. Organizational skills and an attention to detail are a must, as well as the ability to work independently within the framework of a given project. Flexibility, optimism and a cooperative spirit in a sometimes hectic working environment are all very helpful characteristics. Dedication to Samaritans’ mission is a must. This position is unpaid, but we will work with the candidate for the internship to count towards college credit. The position can be extended for the entire school year.
Please send your resume and brief cover letter explaining your interest in the position to [email protected] with “Development Intern” in the subject line.
Samaritans is seeking a creative individual who is passionate about our mission to serve as the Marketing Intern during the spring 2024 semester. This position will support the marketing team in a variety of tasks related to digital content creation, event promotion, raising awareness of Samaritans programs, and administration.
- Video editing and graphic design skills – experience with Adobe Creative Cloud Apps (including Premiere for video editing) and Canva preferred
- Knowledge of Excel
- Strong writing skills preferred
- Experience with WordPress or other content management system preferred
- Prior experience managing social media for a club or organization preferred
- Ability to work both collaboratively and independently
- Passion for mental health support and the mission of Samaritans
- An interest in using communications and storytelling – social media, video, website content – to break the stigma around suicide and mental health
- A commitment to racial equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging, with an approach that values the individual and respects differences
- Strong listening skills and attention to detail
Salary & Benefits
How to Apply
All applicants must email [email protected] using the subject line ‘Marketing Intern’ with resume and cover letter as PDF attachments. Applicants are encouraged to include any relevant samples of their work that reflect their relevant skills.
Want to see the group of professionals you’ll be working with if you join Samaritans?
Volunteer with Samaritans
If you are passionate about preventing suicide, there are many meaningful ways for you to get involved. You can volunteer on our 24/7 Helpline, with our youth text line Hey Sam, as a suicide grief support services facilitator, or providing event support. We also welcome folks who want to support us in ways that reflect your personality and interests – for instance, hosting a dance-a-thon fundraiser. Getting involved with Samaritans is a life-changing opportunity to help others in your community.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Samaritans is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to hiring staff who reflect the diversity of the communities we serve. Candidates of color, bilingual, and bicultural candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Samaritans will not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on any legally recognized basis, including race, age, color, religious belief (including dress or grooming practices), sex, marital status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions (including breastfeeding), creed, national origin, physical or mental disability, gender identification and expression, sexual orientation, any veteran status, citizenship status, any military service or application for military service, genetic testing or carrier status in any other category protected under the law.