Join Our Team
We know that working in suicide prevention can be tough. We also know it can be very rewarding. If you’re looking for a change, check out our open positions below. We’d love to receive your application today!
Apply by submitting a cover letter and resume to [email protected]. Be sure to include the position title and your name in the subject line. We look forward to receiving your application!
Currently, all Samaritans employees are working remotely. Applicants should be aware that positions will be temporarily remote. It is anticipated that the Samaritans office located in Downtown Boston will reopen in 2021 at which time employees will return, with some flexibility.
Overnight Helpline Coordinator (Full or Part-Time)
Samaritans is seeking an Overnight Helpline Coordinator to ensure 24/7 coverage by responding to helpline calls and supporting and supervising volunteers responding to helpline calls during the overnight (11p-7a EST) shift. The coordinator will provide and oversee the emotional support given to helpline callers in order for the agency to fulfill its mission of serving the isolated, despairing and suicidal through compassionate and non-judgmental listening.
- Responsible for staffing helpline during overnight shift to ensure 24/7 service.
- Responds to helpline calls from those who are seeking emotional support, including those who may be at risk of suicide.
- Supervise and monitor the ongoing quality and consistency of the services provided by volunteers. Ensures policies and procedures are followed accurately.
- Participates in mentoring the growth and development of volunteers through supervision, providing support and feedback.
- Participates with other program staff members addressing concerns/problems with volunteers.
- Maintains all relevant program data and statistics in order to track the effectiveness and impact of the service.
- Responsible for the helpline environment, including its cleanliness, availability of necessary materials and proper functioning of equipment in order for volunteers to properly provide befriending services.
- Coordinates and reconciles volunteer schedules.
Special Requirements/ Physical Demands/ Working Conditions
- Some travel may be required for industry related conferences as well as visits to other agencies, board members and donors as necessary.
- Work is primarily performed in an office setting with minimal health or safety hazards. Noise level and temperature is moderate.
- Minimal lifting or climbing
- Requires the operation of office equipment such as, but not limited to: computers, copiers, fax and phone.
- Fast learner with strong computer skills (in relation to requirement of maintaining and cleaning the database as well as extracting data).
- Flexibility in meeting demands and remaining positive during interactions is essential.
- Flexibility in working hours appropriate for making service available 24 x 7. Requires holidays and weekends.
- Ability to interact effectively with others required
- Ability to communicate effectively with others through written and verbal communication is essential
- Resolving conflicts and internal issues appropriately, including providing difficult feedback to volunteers while keeping supervisor informed is required
- Detail-oriented and strong interpersonal skills (ability to work independently as well as a part of a team)
Preferred Education, Experience, Skills, and Abilities
- BA or BS preferred
- Minimum of 2 years of professional experience in a social services agency
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office software required
- Previous work as a volunteer or working with volunteers preferred
- Previous experience working overnight hours or high level of comfort with overnight hours
- Successfully completes Befriending training
Hourly Pay: $18/hr
How to Apply:
Please send your resume (saved as Lastname_resume) and brief cover letter (saved as Lastname_coverletter) explaining your interest in the position to [email protected] with “Overnight Helpline Coordinator” in the subject line.
Samaritans is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to hiring staff who reflect the diversity of the communities we serve. Candidates of color, bilingual, and bicultural candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Browse through the sections below for the different internships we offer.
Samaritans is seeking a motivated Special Events Intern for 10-20 hours per week who enjoys a growth-oriented environment to oversee aspects of our annual fundraising events.
- Support the Development Director and Special Events Manager as needed for special events such as/but not limited to: the 5K Run/Walk (September), the Breakfast for Hope Event (April/May), Boston Marathon Team (April/October), and other donor driven events
- Help to provide direct support to 5K Team Captains, HopeRaisers, and others who commit to fundraising in support of Samaritans
- Support event sponsorship management and acquisition
- Work with the 5K fundraising platform where needed (Classy)
- Support the Boston Marathon Team
- Create blog and social media posts for fundraising events
- Work with the Development Team to strategize and implement marketing plans for events
- Assist with other projects as they arise
This position requires strong written and oral communication skills, and an ability to work well with all types of people. Organizational skills and an attention to detail are a must. Other helpful characteristics are being flexible, taking initiative, and having a cooperative spirit. Special Events can sometimes be hectic, so having a positive attitude and a sense of humor is essential.
This position is unpaid, but we will work with the candidate for the internship to count towards college credit.
Please send your resume and brief cover letter explaining your interest in the position to [email protected] with “Special Events Intern” in the subject line.
Samaritans is currently seeking interns to staff our 24/7 Helpline. Successful candidates will possess the ability to empathize with others and have strong listening skills. No previous experience is required; all interns receive training that will equip them with the necessary knowledge and skills to provide emotional support to callers. We offer a traditional 9 -onth commitment of a few hours a week as well as accelerated commitments for those who have more time to give within a smaller time frame.
To begin the application process, interested candidates must attend an Information Session and complete an interview with a current staff member or volunteer. Complete our online volunteer inquiry and receive upcoming information session dates. (links to Volunteer on the 24/7 Helpline request form)
Samaritans is seeking a Development Intern for 15-20 hours per week who enjoys a growth-oriented environment to oversee aspects of our annual fundraising activities.
- Provide general support to the Development Team on a variety of projects, including the Boston Marathon (April) and Breakfast for Hope (May)
- Support the Database Manager in overseeing functions of donor database (Salesforce) management, including inputting new contacts, and ensuring accuracy of records and information entered, and updating donor information
- Participate in weekly Development team meetings
- Research donors and potential donors
- Provide grant proposal support to the Grants contractor and Chief Development Officer
- Assist with other projects as they arise
This position requires strong written and oral communication skills, and an ability to work well with all types of people. Organizational skills and an attention to detail are a must, as well as the ability to work independently within the framework of a given project. Flexibility, optimism and a cooperative spirit in a sometimes hectic working environment are all very helpful characteristics. Dedication to Samaritans’ mission is a must. This position is unpaid, but we will work with the candidate for the internship to count towards college credit. The position can be extended for the entire school year.
Please send your resume and brief cover letter explaining your interest in the position to [email protected] with “Development Intern” in the subject line.
Want to see the group of professionals you’ll be working with if you join Samaritans?
Equal Opportunity Employer
Samaritans is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to hiring staff who reflect the diversity of the communities we serve. Candidates of color, bilingual, and bicultural candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Samaritans will not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on any legally recognized basis, including race, age, color, religious belief (including dress or grooming practices), sex, marital status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions (including breastfeeding), creed, national origin, physical or mental disability, gender identification and expression, sexual orientation, any veteran status, citizenship status, any military service or application for military service, genetic testing or carrier status in any other category protected under the law.