CREATE YOUR OWN FUNDRAISER
Samaritans is grateful to people who dedicate their own time, money, and effort to organize a fundraiser to benefit our suicide prevention work.
Fundraisers vary in type and size, and can be based on just about any interest. Just a few of the things that people have done to raise funds for Samaritans are asking friends and family to donate for their birthday on Facebook, running a half marathon, hosting a haunted house, Zumbathon, bowling tournament, or Ultimate Frisbee tournament.
How to Get Started
Many people create Facebook fundraisers for their birthday, or to mark an anniversary or other significant date. Creating a Facebook Fundraiser is easy: go to our Facebook Fundraiser page and click Raise Money. Facebook will take you through the steps to set you your fundraiser, and the money raised will go directly to Samaritans.
Live Event or Athletic Challenge
If you are interested in organizing and hosting your own event or participating in an athletic challenge to benefit Samaritans, please complete this brief event proposal form to tell us about your plans. After we receive your proposal, a Samaritans representative will follow up with you to discuss your event.
How Samaritans Will Support Your Event
- Brochures, wallet cards, and wristbands featuring the Samaritans logo and Helpline number for your event. Please let us know at least a week in advance how many of each item you would like.
- Samaritans logo for your event materials. Please submit all materials using the logo for review before distributing.
- Platform to create a personalized fundraising page for your event or challenge.
- Promotion of your event on Samaritans social media channels or in our monthly newsletter.
While we can’t guarantee that a representative can attend every event, we will try to have a staff or board member present to represent Samaritans.
Tips for Planning & Promoting Your Event
- Start planning early – Giving people lots of notice helps make sure they are able to attend your event. Starting early also helps when requesting donated venues or supplies.
- Keep expenses low – Minimize your costs by asking people or businesses to donate or discount items such as venue rental fees, entertainment, decorations, prizes, food, and beverages.
- Incorporate other ways to raise money – Think about creative things you can add to your event to raise additional money, such as auctions, raffles, or selling food or merchandise.
- Tell everyone about your event – Much of your success will depend on how well you spread the word about your event and the number of people you invite, so shout it from the rooftops.
- Don’t forget to say thanks – Send letters or emails to all of the supporters and volunteers that helped make your event a success. You will probably want their help again next year.
After your event, please send donations you have collected, along with an Event Report Form to:
Attn: Special Event Coordinator
41 West St., 4th Floor
Boston, MA 02111