The Overnight Helpline Coordinator’s role is to ensure 24/7 coverage by responding to helpline calls and supporting and supervising volunteers responding to helpline calls during the overnight (11p-7a EST) shift. The coordinator will provide and oversee the emotional support given to helpline callers in order for the agency to fulfill its mission of serving the isolated, despairing and suicidal through compassionate and non-judgmental listening. Part time position available: 16-24 hours per week.
- Responsible for staffing helpline during overnight shift to ensure 24/7 service.
- Responds to helpline calls from those who are seeking emotional support, including those who may be at risk of suicide.
- Supervise and monitor the ongoing quality and consistency of the services provided by volunteers. Ensures policies and procedures are followed accurately.
- Participates in mentoring the growth and development of volunteers through supervision, providing support and feedback.
- Participates with other program staff members addressing concerns/problems with volunteers.
- Maintains all relevant program data and statistics in order to track the effectiveness and impact of the service.
- Responsible for the helpline environment, including its cleanliness, availability of necessary materials and proper functioning of equipment in order for volunteers to properly provide befriending services.
- Coordinates and reconciles volunteer schedules.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORKING CONDITIONS
- Some travel may be required for industry related conferences as well as visits to other agencies, board members and donors as necessary
- Work is primarily performed in an office setting with minimal health or safety hazards. Noise level and temperature is moderate.
- Minimal lifting or climbing
- Requires the operation of office equipment such as, but not limited to: computers, copiers, fax and phone
- Fast learner with strong computer skills (in relation to requirement of maintaining and cleaning the database as well as extracting data)
- Flexibility in meeting demands and remaining positive during interactions is essential
- Flexibility in working hours appropriate for making service available 24 x 7. Requires holidays and weekends.
- Ability to interact effectively with others required
- Ability to communicate effectively with others through written and verbal communication is essential
- Resolving conflicts and internal issues appropriately, including providing difficult feedback to volunteers while keeping supervisor informed is required
- Detail-oriented and strong interpersonal skills (ability to work independently as well as a part of a team)
PREFERRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- BA or BS preferred
- Minimum of 2 years of professional experience in a social services agency
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office software required
- Previous work as a volunteer or working with volunteers preferred
- Previous experience working overnight hours or high level of comfort with overnight hours
- Successfully completes Befriending training.
How to apply
Please send your resume (saved as Lastname_resume) and brief cover letter (saved as Lastname_coverletter) explaining your interest in the position to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Overnight Helpline Coordinator” in the subject line.