Samaritans is seeking a Special Events Intern for 15-20 hours per week who enjoys a growth-oriented environment to oversee aspects of our annual fundraising activities. This position reports to Samaritans’ Development Manager
Samaritans, Inc. is the premier suicide prevention organization in the communities of Suffolk, Norfolk, Middlesex and Worcester counties, providing lifesaving services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Samaritans’ purpose is to alleviate despair, isolation, distress and suicidal feelings among individuals in our community; to educate the public about suicide prevention; and to reduce the stigma associated with suicide. For over 40 years, Samaritans volunteers – selected, trained and supported by a dedicated professional staff – have provided compassionate and non-judgmental support free of charge for callers to its helplines.
Samaritans’ volunteers and staff now provide a full range of suicide prevention, intervention and postvention services through community education and outreach; phone, text and chat-based crisis service helplines for those in distress; and grief support groups and personal visits which assist families impacted by a suicide loss in their grieving and healing process. This growing organization provides services that make our communities healthier and happier and provides a working environment that celebrates the positive and lifesaving work that occurs here each and every day.
- Support the Development Manager and Special Events Coordinator as needed for special events such as/but not limited to: the 5K Run/Walk, the Breakfast for Hope Event, Boston Marathon Team, Samaritans Running Community and donor driven events
- Help to provide direct support to 5K Team Captains, HopeRaisers, and others who commit to fundraising in support of Samaritans
- Support event sponsorship management and acquisition
- Work with the 5K fundraising platform (TeamRaiser)
- Support the Boston Marathon Team
- Create press releases
- Work with the Development Team to strategize and implement marketing plans for events
- Update social media accounts with event information
- Assist with other projects as they arise
This position requires strong written and oral communication skills, and an ability to work well with all types of people. Organizational skills and an attention to detail are a must, as well as the ability to work independently within the framework of a given project. Flexibility, optimism and a cooperative spirit in a sometimes hectic working environment are all very helpful characteristics. Dedication to Samaritans’ mission is a must.
This position is unpaid, but we will work with the candidate for the internship to count towards college credit. The position can be extended for the entire school year.
Please send your resume and brief cover letter explaining your interest in the position to email@example.com with “Special Events” in the subject line.